Skip to main content

What? God loves me?

Even though I've been a Christian for four years now (!), there are still a handful of things I know theoretically but have yet to experience personally. One of those that bothered me for a good three years was the idea of what it means to be FREE IN CHRIST, which God let me experience through a serious of reoccuring dreams lol (just ask me about it in-person if I haven't told you). I know God loves me because He sent His one and only Son to die for me, but I don't know if I've ever experienced God's love in a personal way. Or perhaps I have, but I just haven't recognized it..

Two weeks ago, new LIFE groups began which meant I was given a fresh roster of fifteen girls to shepherd for the rest of the summer. My new LG is a merge of Global Access & Jwitter, with a few additional international students. Perhaps it's because I've had context with the GA community in years past and knew my Jwitter girls coming in, but something about my love for this LG has been different. Since the first LIFE group I was called to shepherd (Organic) to the latest one ending a month ago (Jwitter) and everything in between (WIO & SIC), it's been a constant struggle for me to love, serve, and invest in my members willingly. I knew I was CALLED to shepherd and guide my members, but trying to convince my heart was a whole 'notha story from knowing it in my head. Because of this disconnect, I ended up doing the bare minimum in my role as a shepherd, and am sure I missed out on many blessings.

Coming into this summer, I prayed that God would give me (1) a genuine love for my members, and (2) a willing heart to serve them sacrificially. Praise God because I truly feel like He has answered both of these to the tee. Whenever I look at my LG roster, I smile in excitement and anticipation thinking about how God wants to work in their lives, and actually WANT to be personally invested to help them reach their potential. 'DUH Nayoung--weren't you supposed to be doing that all along?' YUP but I definitely got consumed in taking care of the logistics in my first two years and am just gaining a heart for my members now.. :P

GOD has granted me the love for my LG girls, and if God gave me this love for others, it only goes to show how all-the-more God loves ME! I'm reminded of the passage from 1 John 4--specifically verses 7,8,and 19 stand out to me. WE LOVE BECAUSE HE FIRST LOVED US! There is no way I could be loving these girls in our LG if it wasn't for the fact that God loved me first.

That may sound slightly circuitous and indirect but I'm also reminded about the story of Elijah in 1 Kings 19--here is Elijah, waiting for God to show His power through this HUGE BAM IN THE FACE experience with the wind, the earthquake, or the fire--but instead God speaks to him in a soft whisper. A lot of times I wait for God to show Himself to me in a specific way, and assume disappointment when He doesnt meet me the way I expected.. When in actuality, if I'm sensitive enough to the Holy Spirit, God IS speaking and meeting me (just in a different way than I prayed for).

ACTUALLY (x2), I'm glad God didn't show me His love in an obvious and IN THE FACE way! I've been praying for more discernment in my life since last year--by God showing me his love in this 'indirect, circuitous' way, I was able to grow in discerning the HS! YAY GOD for answering even the speCific prayers in my life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious

delirious (adj): marked by uncontrollable excitement or emotion; ecstatic; filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy (1 peter 1:8); me I don't think I had a personal relationship with God until 2 weeks ago. There have been a lot of formative moments and experiences in the past 6 years of me considering the existence of a higher-being, 3 yrs of being a Christian, 1 year of living by faith, 6 months of serving on church leadership, 1 month of dire circumstances, each of which have been challenged and supported by specific instances in my life.* But it's only been 2 weeks of finding pure joy, satisfaction, and freedom in Christ (alone). Though it's been 6 years since I first stepped into a church building and 3 years since I accepted Christ, I was always afraid to admit that I didn't know what grace, freedom, repentance, or Jesus meant--in terms other than the ones I had heard or read--it was always a theory and never a reality in my own life. After years of doing chur

And just when you least expect it..

Today I went down to the food court with another intern and as I opened my box of sushi, I hesitated. Feeling as if there were too many eyes on me (I only ate with one other person -_-), I questioned whether I should pray before my meal, in fear of social rejection. After I prayed, she asked me if I was a Christian, and I awkwardly responded that I was. Then she said, "Finally! What a relief to know that there are other Christians!" WHAT THE.. I couldn't believe it. Here I was, sitting with a co-worker that I had simply exchanged cordial greetings with, now talking about God haha. Even though I was scared and honestly did NOT want to pray, God used a habitual thing like that to open up opportunities for me to invite her to small group and share my faith. Crazy how He works when you least expect it.

Fill in the blank

Check out this cool site that I didn't make (and is not affiliated with HMCC): http://jesus-is.org/ In efforts to get people in Ann Arbor thinking about who Jesus is, I've been conducting one question surveys to get people's honest thoughts on what they think of Jesus. The first time I did this exercise was with my ministry team, and I was blown away that 1) people were very willing to fill in the blank in "Jesus is _____, 2) there were more believers than I expected, and 3) some people genuinely had NO IDEA who Jesus was to them personally. My lifegroup participated in this exercise last night, this time not only to gauge the spiritual climate of this campus, but also to get our fresh JESUS IS rave cards out into the city! The survey was an excellent, non-intimidating segway to promote our Easter Celebration to strangers, and I'm thankful I had the chance to do this with my LG. The responses I've received in the past varies from things like.. Jesus is ______: