Skip to main content

Questioning friendships

I’ve been thinking a lot about friendships lately. What’s the purpose of having friends? Is it just so I can have fun and have people to spend time with? Where should my friendships strive towards? What is the end goal of friendships in my life?

Of the many insecurities in my life, relationships are one of the top things on my list. Ever since I was young, I never felt like I “succeeded” socially. I wasn’t ostracized or outcasted in school, but I was also never THE person that everyone wanted to be friends with. The fact that I was never someone’s best friend or girlfriend made me believe that I wasn’t good enough or worthy enough to be one. SO when I came to college knowing just one person, I took the chance to reinvent myself—I forced myself to be more outgoing and fun-to-be-around, thinking my new personality could win over more friends. The truth is, it worked. But deep inside I knew it was all a façade—when I accepted Christ at the end of my freshman year and realized God loved me just the way I am, I dropped the front and became the mellow, less rambunctious, and (let’s be honest) the more boring Nayoung that I am today.

Who I used to be (top right corner)

Since then, I’ve gotten much better at being who I really am, without feeling the pressure to be someone I’m not. I thank God for the biblical community that fostered this environment of being open and REAL, but because of my innate sinfulness I still messed up, BIG TIME. I lived a double life all throughout college, engaging in behaviors in private that I knew were not honoring to God or to people around me. I define integrity as who I am when no one is watching—with that said, it was clear that even as a serious Christ follower and leader in our church, I was NOT living a life of integrity. I was living in darkness and hiding. The gospel didn’t penetrate into all areas of my life, especially when it came to relationships.

Because of all my failures in friendships in the past (before I became a Christian AND after), I’ve been very cautious and unwilling to try again (unfortunate that fear of failure drives so many parts of my life). Right now as I enter my sixth year in Michigan, I am reevaluating the value of friendships in my life, particularly those with my peers. Just because two people met at church doesn’t make their relationship Christ-centered, and that’s what bothers me. There are a handful of relationships in my life that I truly treasure and value because they are founded upon our mutual need for Jesus and desire to worship Him through our conversations, activities, and the like. Those relationships came to be because from the beginning we DTR (defined the relationship) as one we wanted to exalt Christ through—many of them began through LCG pairings or LIFE group, an atmosphere where everyone is on the same page about why we exist. Even though I want these kind of deep, invested relationships with my peers (outside of LG or LCG), I’ve been too afraid of how people will respond (insecurities), fearing I am the only one that feels this discontentment with the shallow level of relationships—Satan sure loves to fool me into thinking I am alone eh.

I am hoping this will be the year where I experience deep, honest, building each other up, and Christ-exalting relationships with my peers. Lord may you transform and redeem friendships in my life to those where we can sharpen one another as iron sharpens iron (Prov 27:17), so that we may become more loving, selfless, humble, and compassionate—more like Christ. Even though that seems like such an ambitious desire, I believe NOTHING is impossible for You (Luke 1:37)..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious

delirious (adj): marked by uncontrollable excitement or emotion; ecstatic; filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy (1 peter 1:8); me I don't think I had a personal relationship with God until 2 weeks ago. There have been a lot of formative moments and experiences in the past 6 years of me considering the existence of a higher-being, 3 yrs of being a Christian, 1 year of living by faith, 6 months of serving on church leadership, 1 month of dire circumstances, each of which have been challenged and supported by specific instances in my life.* But it's only been 2 weeks of finding pure joy, satisfaction, and freedom in Christ (alone). Though it's been 6 years since I first stepped into a church building and 3 years since I accepted Christ, I was always afraid to admit that I didn't know what grace, freedom, repentance, or Jesus meant--in terms other than the ones I had heard or read--it was always a theory and never a reality in my own life. After years of doing chur

And just when you least expect it..

Today I went down to the food court with another intern and as I opened my box of sushi, I hesitated. Feeling as if there were too many eyes on me (I only ate with one other person -_-), I questioned whether I should pray before my meal, in fear of social rejection. After I prayed, she asked me if I was a Christian, and I awkwardly responded that I was. Then she said, "Finally! What a relief to know that there are other Christians!" WHAT THE.. I couldn't believe it. Here I was, sitting with a co-worker that I had simply exchanged cordial greetings with, now talking about God haha. Even though I was scared and honestly did NOT want to pray, God used a habitual thing like that to open up opportunities for me to invite her to small group and share my faith. Crazy how He works when you least expect it.

Honesty

If you're my friend, teammate, lifegroup member (or you have any context with me at all), I've probably hurt you. I've probably hurt you in the way I approached you, made you into an agenda, or seemed disinterested in our friendship at times when we weren't being "purposeful". I probably gave you the idea that I didn't value our time together unless we were doing something "productive"--and in all honesty, you were right--you read right through me, and knew exactly what I was thinking. Ever since experiencing God (personally) for the first time three weeks ago, I've seen how my skewed relationship with God has affected so many other parts of my life. Before, I saw having a relationship with God as a list of tasks--in my warped point of view and biases of being an already-too-task-minded person, if I wanted to know God, I needed to read the Bible, persevere in prayer, get involved in biblical community, and serve the church. If I did all these