Skip to main content

Participating in educational initiatives

One of my favorite parts about working at Deloitte is the ways we are involved in local communities. Similar to DP Day that the University of Michigan participates in once a year, Deloitte has IMPACT Day, where the entire firm puts our regular responsibilities on pause for one day to participate in skills-based volunteering. Throughout the year, we partner with a few select organizations like United Way, City Year, and College Summit to serve as mentors, teachers, and counselors (among other things).

It's funny that I express such enthusiasm now because all throughout high school and college, I greatly undermined the value of community service. Maybe it's because I grew up in a rather homogeneous suburban neighborhood, but I didn't see the power of mentorship relationships until two summers ago when I got to interact with the underachieving youth at Cesar Chavez Academy in Southwest Detroit. Since then, I've been learning more about different social issues and how I can use my existing passions and educational background to help make a difference (hence last year's ventures in exploring the Base of the Pyramid, social entrepreneurship, etc). Even when it comes to community involvement, there are a lot of different emphases such as addressing issues healthcare, poverty, education, or the environment, but the part that I am passionate about (and just SO happens to be the part Deloitte is committed to) is education.


One of those organizations I learned about when it comes to combining education and business is Junior Achievement, which is the "world’s largest organization dedicated to educating students about workforce readiness, entrepreneurship and financial literacy through experiential, hands-on programs." In my words, JA uses basic business principles to motivate youth to a better life. Business + education = right up my alley.

A few weeks ago, Deloitte was looking for volunteers and of course I jumped on the opportunity. So this morning I nervously walked into an elementary school in the east side of Detroit, to teach a class of 38 fifth graders (yes it's a huge class) about the importance of managing money (key terms from the day: bank account, withdrawals, deposits). I haven't felt this nervous in a WHILE (last time I had a job interview?) but whew thankfully it went better than expected. More than the experience of teaching in front of a classroom though, my experience in the girls' bathroom was more surprising--some of my observations from my brief stay:
  • The stalls are legit 4 feet tall. I felt like a giant. I also thought of the Stockwell bathroom incident with Anna & Liza kakakak
  • The stalls don't have locks. Not sure if this was to prevent bullying (swirly?) or shady business, but was def shocked.
  • All three soap dispensers in the bathroom were empty
  • There was nothing to dry my hands (no dryer, paper towels, etc)
I'll be teaching this class of 5th graders for a total of six weeks every Thursday, and I'm excited to discover more shocking observations in the process. Here's to developing a more holistic world-view--

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious

delirious (adj): marked by uncontrollable excitement or emotion; ecstatic; filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy (1 peter 1:8); me I don't think I had a personal relationship with God until 2 weeks ago. There have been a lot of formative moments and experiences in the past 6 years of me considering the existence of a higher-being, 3 yrs of being a Christian, 1 year of living by faith, 6 months of serving on church leadership, 1 month of dire circumstances, each of which have been challenged and supported by specific instances in my life.* But it's only been 2 weeks of finding pure joy, satisfaction, and freedom in Christ (alone). Though it's been 6 years since I first stepped into a church building and 3 years since I accepted Christ, I was always afraid to admit that I didn't know what grace, freedom, repentance, or Jesus meant--in terms other than the ones I had heard or read--it was always a theory and never a reality in my own life. After years of doing chur

And just when you least expect it..

Today I went down to the food court with another intern and as I opened my box of sushi, I hesitated. Feeling as if there were too many eyes on me (I only ate with one other person -_-), I questioned whether I should pray before my meal, in fear of social rejection. After I prayed, she asked me if I was a Christian, and I awkwardly responded that I was. Then she said, "Finally! What a relief to know that there are other Christians!" WHAT THE.. I couldn't believe it. Here I was, sitting with a co-worker that I had simply exchanged cordial greetings with, now talking about God haha. Even though I was scared and honestly did NOT want to pray, God used a habitual thing like that to open up opportunities for me to invite her to small group and share my faith. Crazy how He works when you least expect it.

Fill in the blank

Check out this cool site that I didn't make (and is not affiliated with HMCC): http://jesus-is.org/ In efforts to get people in Ann Arbor thinking about who Jesus is, I've been conducting one question surveys to get people's honest thoughts on what they think of Jesus. The first time I did this exercise was with my ministry team, and I was blown away that 1) people were very willing to fill in the blank in "Jesus is _____, 2) there were more believers than I expected, and 3) some people genuinely had NO IDEA who Jesus was to them personally. My lifegroup participated in this exercise last night, this time not only to gauge the spiritual climate of this campus, but also to get our fresh JESUS IS rave cards out into the city! The survey was an excellent, non-intimidating segway to promote our Easter Celebration to strangers, and I'm thankful I had the chance to do this with my LG. The responses I've received in the past varies from things like.. Jesus is ______: