Skip to main content

Hope

Over three weeks since I last bit my nails--I can't believe it! They're starting to get long enough for me to use a nail clipper now though so figured I'd snipe a pic. One of my nails (on the other hand) started tempting me today so I ended up "peeling it" away instead of patiently waiting to use a real nail clipper at home today. I am so tempted to just do the same to the other nine nails now, particularly because I know I already "gave in" to one. GAH must resist..


Had the chance to check out Milano Bakery yesterday during lunch-time. Jan and I have been having monthly outings for lunch where we actually leave our cubicles and our buildings.

The first time we did this was back in November when a Groupon deal prompted us to drive 6 minutes away from our building for lunch. This was a really epic moment because despite having worked in Detroit for 4-6 months prior, neither of us had EVER veered off the Ann Arbor to RenCen (and vice versa) route. In the brief 6 minute drive out, we saw sides of Detroit that vastly contrasted with the building we locked ourselves in for months. "Coincidentally" this happened during our church-wide Missions Week, where Jaeson Ma prophecied about the restoration of Detroit and our pastor shared personally about how God might be opening doors for us to be involved. This was the beginning of God opening my eyes and growing my heart for the D.

Who knows what this really means for my future, but it's been a lot of fun engaging more with the city since. I'm thankful for the opportunities I had to learn about the city by volunteering with great non-profits, organizations, and social enterprises like Junior Achievement, DP Day, and Get Fresh Detroit--but these organizations can only do so much.

In the end, what Detroit needs is HOPE--and this boundless, unchanging, eternal hope isn't going to come from a passionate politician, entrepreneur, or philanthropist. Detroit needs JC, our Lord and Savior, to continue to have hope and trust in God's goodness even through undesirable circumstances.

"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." -Isaiah 40:28-31

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious

delirious (adj): marked by uncontrollable excitement or emotion; ecstatic; filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy (1 peter 1:8); me I don't think I had a personal relationship with God until 2 weeks ago. There have been a lot of formative moments and experiences in the past 6 years of me considering the existence of a higher-being, 3 yrs of being a Christian, 1 year of living by faith, 6 months of serving on church leadership, 1 month of dire circumstances, each of which have been challenged and supported by specific instances in my life.* But it's only been 2 weeks of finding pure joy, satisfaction, and freedom in Christ (alone). Though it's been 6 years since I first stepped into a church building and 3 years since I accepted Christ, I was always afraid to admit that I didn't know what grace, freedom, repentance, or Jesus meant--in terms other than the ones I had heard or read--it was always a theory and never a reality in my own life. After years of doing chur

And just when you least expect it..

Today I went down to the food court with another intern and as I opened my box of sushi, I hesitated. Feeling as if there were too many eyes on me (I only ate with one other person -_-), I questioned whether I should pray before my meal, in fear of social rejection. After I prayed, she asked me if I was a Christian, and I awkwardly responded that I was. Then she said, "Finally! What a relief to know that there are other Christians!" WHAT THE.. I couldn't believe it. Here I was, sitting with a co-worker that I had simply exchanged cordial greetings with, now talking about God haha. Even though I was scared and honestly did NOT want to pray, God used a habitual thing like that to open up opportunities for me to invite her to small group and share my faith. Crazy how He works when you least expect it.

Honesty

If you're my friend, teammate, lifegroup member (or you have any context with me at all), I've probably hurt you. I've probably hurt you in the way I approached you, made you into an agenda, or seemed disinterested in our friendship at times when we weren't being "purposeful". I probably gave you the idea that I didn't value our time together unless we were doing something "productive"--and in all honesty, you were right--you read right through me, and knew exactly what I was thinking. Ever since experiencing God (personally) for the first time three weeks ago, I've seen how my skewed relationship with God has affected so many other parts of my life. Before, I saw having a relationship with God as a list of tasks--in my warped point of view and biases of being an already-too-task-minded person, if I wanted to know God, I needed to read the Bible, persevere in prayer, get involved in biblical community, and serve the church. If I did all these