Skip to main content

Worship VIA creativity

The publications team is the only ministry team I've been a part of in my four years at HMCC. Every year alot of things change (including the community that was built over a year in LG), but my MT has been one constant factor through my four-year journey of knowing Christ. Because of the consistency, I was able to build upon my relationships with others on the team and I am SO thankful for this opportunity to serve--I really praise God for the way He used this team to grow my heart for the local church and show me how I can administer grace in different ways. I cannot stop RAVING about how much serving on a ministry team has impacted my life as a Christ-follower.

Here are three reasons why I love serving on the publications team.

1) The transformation of this team displays God's power

  • MAN I still remember walking into my first meeting at a classroom in Mason Hall. It was the most awkward meeting i've ever been a part of--legit. I know there were efforts made to facilitate relationships, but I couldn't help but see my teammates as mere colleagues that I work with to "pump out" projects.

  • Fast forward four years--after numerous personal QT sharing, hot seats, dunkin donuts runs, awkward is the LAST word I would think of to describe this community. I think I broke out into tears in front of a group for the first time in this MT, and I've found our meetings to be such a safe place to honestly share how I was doing. I didn't have to worry about what others would think of me or try to play up to a title I had, and I just felt so free to be me. Sometimes that meant breaking out into tears, and sometimes it meant the wild NY came out. Whatever it was, I just felt so accepted and supported.

2) Serving on this team reminds me that skills alone are not enough

  • To be honest, there were many times I contemplated quitting. My natural tendency is to do things I'm good at, and to avoid things I'm weak in. Even though I joined the team because I had an interest in graphic design, I quickly learned that producing graphic design work for personal use was very different than for.. the glory of God. I couldn't just do what I knew how to do (or thought was aesthetically pleasing), but needed BIBLICAL inspiration. If I wasn't growing in my relationship with God, or if I didn't learn anything from the passage a sermon series was based on, I wasn't producing anything. The projects I've worked on that still leave me in awe are the ones where I have no idea how I ended up with the final product--the designs were truly inspired by the living Word of God and the HS, and God is the only one that can receive the credit.

  • Even though I am one of the "older" members on the team now, I still have moments where I want to quit. Objectively speaking, I have much less practical experience and training in the arts than many of my teammates. Though my pride is constantly begging that I do things I excel in, serving on pubs lets me boast in my weakness and leave room for God's grace to shine through. There is nothing like seeing fruit and confidently claiming it was ALL GOD.

3) Preparing for upcoming events grew my love for the local church

  • I think one of the pitfalls not growing up in a youth group is the tendency to overlook traditions or regular structures. I often rationalized not going to church on a Sunday by claiming I didn't need to be legalistic, or that my relationship with God didn't depend on meeting attendance. I valued meeting together on a Tues or Wed for small group Bible studies, but frankly didn't value meeting together as an entire church nearly to the extent that I should have.
  • Serving on pubs has helped me to care for the local church as a whole (not just my LG) because we were praying and preparing for church-wide events months before it was announced to the congregation. We started praying and preparing early so we could seek inspiration from the HS, and having been involved in-advance with the creative process for a student missions conference, Easter celebration, or baptism service have helped me to better understand why we do what we do.

OK wow I didn't mean to go that long but I'm just so thankful for the opportunity to serve alongside eight other designers who are all seeking ways to worship God VIA c r e a t i v i t y.

(wish i took a pic of our team motto before the giant binder clip got lost, but this shall do for now--the female designers)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious

delirious (adj): marked by uncontrollable excitement or emotion; ecstatic; filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy (1 peter 1:8); me I don't think I had a personal relationship with God until 2 weeks ago. There have been a lot of formative moments and experiences in the past 6 years of me considering the existence of a higher-being, 3 yrs of being a Christian, 1 year of living by faith, 6 months of serving on church leadership, 1 month of dire circumstances, each of which have been challenged and supported by specific instances in my life.* But it's only been 2 weeks of finding pure joy, satisfaction, and freedom in Christ (alone). Though it's been 6 years since I first stepped into a church building and 3 years since I accepted Christ, I was always afraid to admit that I didn't know what grace, freedom, repentance, or Jesus meant--in terms other than the ones I had heard or read--it was always a theory and never a reality in my own life. After years of doing chur

And just when you least expect it..

Today I went down to the food court with another intern and as I opened my box of sushi, I hesitated. Feeling as if there were too many eyes on me (I only ate with one other person -_-), I questioned whether I should pray before my meal, in fear of social rejection. After I prayed, she asked me if I was a Christian, and I awkwardly responded that I was. Then she said, "Finally! What a relief to know that there are other Christians!" WHAT THE.. I couldn't believe it. Here I was, sitting with a co-worker that I had simply exchanged cordial greetings with, now talking about God haha. Even though I was scared and honestly did NOT want to pray, God used a habitual thing like that to open up opportunities for me to invite her to small group and share my faith. Crazy how He works when you least expect it.

Honesty

If you're my friend, teammate, lifegroup member (or you have any context with me at all), I've probably hurt you. I've probably hurt you in the way I approached you, made you into an agenda, or seemed disinterested in our friendship at times when we weren't being "purposeful". I probably gave you the idea that I didn't value our time together unless we were doing something "productive"--and in all honesty, you were right--you read right through me, and knew exactly what I was thinking. Ever since experiencing God (personally) for the first time three weeks ago, I've seen how my skewed relationship with God has affected so many other parts of my life. Before, I saw having a relationship with God as a list of tasks--in my warped point of view and biases of being an already-too-task-minded person, if I wanted to know God, I needed to read the Bible, persevere in prayer, get involved in biblical community, and serve the church. If I did all these