Skip to main content

Never have I ever

On Sunday morning, I did something I thought I'd NEVER do. I completed a 10K at the 2011 Dexter-Ann Arbor Run.

A lot of people assume I enjoy running because I love playing sports--but believe me on this, I never understood how anyone could run for fun. About a month ago when the "new year" began, I set a new personal goal to invest in my physical health just like I care for my spiritual, mental, or emotional health. When Julia told me about DXA2 at a Pubs meeting two weeks ago, I was intrigued. Running 6.2 miles seemed like just the right distance for me to be challenged without having months to train beforehand. Despite my interest, I didn't want to sign-up without having at least one buddy to run with me side-by-side and help me stick to the goal I had set. Without the A word (accountability), I knew how easy it would be for me to start walking halfway and not fulfill the commitment I had made.

It brings me great excitement to share that I (along with two very supportive, encouraging, and like-minded friends) successfully finished the 10K! Our goal was simply to finish the entire 10 kilometers without walking, even if it meant jogging at a much slower pace.

A couple of things I learned through this experience:
  • Value of training and developing disciplines
No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. -Heb 12:11
  • Value of believing in your heart that you can do it
“Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. “Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. -Mk 11:22-24
  • Value of doing things together, not individually
Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. -Ecc 4:12

After I finished the 10K, I was somewhat in disbelief. I felt like I could do anything if I had discipline, faith, and accountability. Of course the danger to this is that I take this to the extreme and think I can get everything my way as long as I put my mind to it--always a continual struggle to let Jesus reign as the Lord over my life :P

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious

delirious (adj): marked by uncontrollable excitement or emotion; ecstatic; filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy (1 peter 1:8); me I don't think I had a personal relationship with God until 2 weeks ago. There have been a lot of formative moments and experiences in the past 6 years of me considering the existence of a higher-being, 3 yrs of being a Christian, 1 year of living by faith, 6 months of serving on church leadership, 1 month of dire circumstances, each of which have been challenged and supported by specific instances in my life.* But it's only been 2 weeks of finding pure joy, satisfaction, and freedom in Christ (alone). Though it's been 6 years since I first stepped into a church building and 3 years since I accepted Christ, I was always afraid to admit that I didn't know what grace, freedom, repentance, or Jesus meant--in terms other than the ones I had heard or read--it was always a theory and never a reality in my own life. After years of doing chur

And just when you least expect it..

Today I went down to the food court with another intern and as I opened my box of sushi, I hesitated. Feeling as if there were too many eyes on me (I only ate with one other person -_-), I questioned whether I should pray before my meal, in fear of social rejection. After I prayed, she asked me if I was a Christian, and I awkwardly responded that I was. Then she said, "Finally! What a relief to know that there are other Christians!" WHAT THE.. I couldn't believe it. Here I was, sitting with a co-worker that I had simply exchanged cordial greetings with, now talking about God haha. Even though I was scared and honestly did NOT want to pray, God used a habitual thing like that to open up opportunities for me to invite her to small group and share my faith. Crazy how He works when you least expect it.

Honesty

If you're my friend, teammate, lifegroup member (or you have any context with me at all), I've probably hurt you. I've probably hurt you in the way I approached you, made you into an agenda, or seemed disinterested in our friendship at times when we weren't being "purposeful". I probably gave you the idea that I didn't value our time together unless we were doing something "productive"--and in all honesty, you were right--you read right through me, and knew exactly what I was thinking. Ever since experiencing God (personally) for the first time three weeks ago, I've seen how my skewed relationship with God has affected so many other parts of my life. Before, I saw having a relationship with God as a list of tasks--in my warped point of view and biases of being an already-too-task-minded person, if I wanted to know God, I needed to read the Bible, persevere in prayer, get involved in biblical community, and serve the church. If I did all these