Skip to main content

Closing out my time in SG: Even If

Back in May 2018, I had a chance to share with my church family. 

As I wrap up my three years in Singapore, I would like to share some of my closing thoughts as many of you have played an integral role in my life here.

There were three main reasons I moved out here back in 2015:

A) I wanted to help build a new institution in a new career field . The student-facing role  has not only been fulfilling but life-giving, allowing me to represent more of my full-self in a professional setting. 

B) I wanted to work on my relationship with my family in Korea, and being closer in proximity was one intentional way to keep myself accountable. God has given me more wisdom and boldness to share more of my life with my earthly family, in ways that I have learned from my spiritual family. 

C) I wanted to be a part of HMCC again, to help it grow in a different part of the world. When I first came I thought I would be here to give, but have received so much more instead.

Those were the aspects I expected out of my time here, and I praise God for the ways he has empowered me to live with boldness and wisdom.

There were also some unexpected lessons, challenges, and blessings.

For example - last year around this time, I battling new feelings of hopelessness, faithlessness, and darkness . I couldn't shake the feeling of discontentment for most of the year regardless of my achievements, willpower, or plans and it was hard to wake up every day.
 
I felt overwhelmed by questions I didn't have answers to - like how to embrace my singleness, how to strive for excellence without feeling entitled, or how to get right with God when I felt unmotivated.

My three years here felt like a period of humbling and testing, to know what is really in my heart, whether or not I would keep his commands. 

Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. (Deuteronomy 8:2)

Things I prayed:
  • To embrace change
  • To be bold in relationships
  • To find joy 
  • To love the Church
  • To embrace present circumstances
  • To surrender outcomes
  • A future partner
  • To go deeper
  • My personal ministry 
  • To persevere through pain
  • To hope
  • Against discouragement
  • Provisions for job, housemates 

I prayed for many things during my time here - some of which I felt were answered, and others which I felt like have not. These questions and uncertainties often made me wonder about God's role in my life, and whether I would still recognize Him as God when my life wasn't fully what I hoped it to be.
 
That's probably one of the biggest lessons I will take away from my time here - God is still God, and worthy to be praised, whether he answers my prayers or not, whether  i get what i expect or not, whether i feel like it or not. 

On some days I really loved Jesus but on many days I didn't . Thank you for caring for me, praying for me, speaking truth to me even when I pushed you away or didn't want it. Without this kind of generous grace and commitment I'm not sure if i would be leaving this place having persevered.

If you'd like to pray for me through my transition back to the US, this list is still relevant. I expect that the journey ahead will be filled with more trials and testing, and wish to keep my focus on Jesus despite what lies ahead. May Christ be the one who receives the glory.

Now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold ...—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. (1 Pet. 1:6–7)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious

delirious (adj): marked by uncontrollable excitement or emotion; ecstatic; filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy (1 peter 1:8); me I don't think I had a personal relationship with God until 2 weeks ago. There have been a lot of formative moments and experiences in the past 6 years of me considering the existence of a higher-being, 3 yrs of being a Christian, 1 year of living by faith, 6 months of serving on church leadership, 1 month of dire circumstances, each of which have been challenged and supported by specific instances in my life.* But it's only been 2 weeks of finding pure joy, satisfaction, and freedom in Christ (alone). Though it's been 6 years since I first stepped into a church building and 3 years since I accepted Christ, I was always afraid to admit that I didn't know what grace, freedom, repentance, or Jesus meant--in terms other than the ones I had heard or read--it was always a theory and never a reality in my own life. After years of doing chur

And just when you least expect it..

Today I went down to the food court with another intern and as I opened my box of sushi, I hesitated. Feeling as if there were too many eyes on me (I only ate with one other person -_-), I questioned whether I should pray before my meal, in fear of social rejection. After I prayed, she asked me if I was a Christian, and I awkwardly responded that I was. Then she said, "Finally! What a relief to know that there are other Christians!" WHAT THE.. I couldn't believe it. Here I was, sitting with a co-worker that I had simply exchanged cordial greetings with, now talking about God haha. Even though I was scared and honestly did NOT want to pray, God used a habitual thing like that to open up opportunities for me to invite her to small group and share my faith. Crazy how He works when you least expect it.

Honesty

If you're my friend, teammate, lifegroup member (or you have any context with me at all), I've probably hurt you. I've probably hurt you in the way I approached you, made you into an agenda, or seemed disinterested in our friendship at times when we weren't being "purposeful". I probably gave you the idea that I didn't value our time together unless we were doing something "productive"--and in all honesty, you were right--you read right through me, and knew exactly what I was thinking. Ever since experiencing God (personally) for the first time three weeks ago, I've seen how my skewed relationship with God has affected so many other parts of my life. Before, I saw having a relationship with God as a list of tasks--in my warped point of view and biases of being an already-too-task-minded person, if I wanted to know God, I needed to read the Bible, persevere in prayer, get involved in biblical community, and serve the church. If I did all these