Skip to main content

Closing out 2017 and entering 2018

Typically at year-end I would say that the year has flown by, but to be honest, 2017 has felt very long for me. For most of the year, I was struggling with feelings of hopelessness, faithlessness, and darkness - which I had never personally experienced before in my life. 

I felt overwhelmed by questions, challenges, and circumstances outside of my control, such as:
  • Embracing my singleness when many around me seemed to be getting engaged, starting relationships, or popping out babies
  • Fighting feelings of entitlement at work yet knowing that ultimate results were outside of my hands
  • Wondering what kind of opportunity I would want to take next in my career - geographically, industry-wise, etc.
All of these uncertainties made me subtlety question God's role in my life, and tested my allegiance and trust. I didn't recognize this until months later, but I'm grateful for the "little things" that helped me to slowly look up from the stubborn darkness.


A few lessons from 2017 I want to remember as we enter a new year:



1. Small steps of faith make a big impact.


At the lowest point of my year, I had not touched the bible, journaled, or prayed personally in months. Even though I knew in the back of my mind that I needed to get right with God, I had fallen so far behind throughout the year that even "small" spiritual disciplines I had developed earlier seemed like climbing Everest. I asked myself, 'What is one small step of faith I can take to get right with God?' and ended up committing to reflecting on one thing I can thank God for every day.

Part of me felt ashamed that this was all I could realistically commit to, but this was just what I needed at the time and helped me to slowly look up to Christ from my dark days. Regardless of where I am in my relationship with God, I hope I will never forget that small steps in faith make a big impact.

2. There are no "right" emotions in life. 


In the way that many of my "sleeping muscles" were awakened this year through physical training, I felt that many of my emotional muscles were awakened for the first time as well (thank God for Scazzero's book Emotionally Healthy Spirituality). When I experienced dark and low emotions I had never felt before, I spent a few months trying to figure out what I had done wrong, which didn't help me much. Then God spoke to me through another book (Depression: Looking Up from the Stubborn Darkness):
"When  your  emotions  feel  muted  or always  low,  when  you  are  unable  to  experience  the  highs  and  lows you  once  did,  the  important  question  is  not  “How  can  I  figure  out what  I  have  done  wrong?”  but  it  is,  “Where  do  I  turn—or,  to  whom do  I  turn—when  I  am  depressed?”  Some  turn  toward  their  beds  and isolation;  others  turn  toward  other  people.  Some  turn  away  from God;  others  turn  toward  him." - Edward T. Welch


I am out of the dark valley that I was slumped in earlier this year, by God's grace. However, I am very aware that I am not immune from experiencing these kind of low emotions again in the future, and praying that God would give me the grace to have joy in the midst of unrelenting pain.


3. Interruption in our lives can be a display of God's intimate care for us - if we're willing to look beyond our initial responses.

In the thick of my low year, I recalled a prayer that I had lifted up several years ago when I made the (difficult) decision to leave Michigan. As much as I wanted to stay, I remember feeling like God wanted me to "go", and be willing to be tested and put through the fire in a context different than the only one I knew. Since life after MI has felt exposing and less than glorious (aka not what I expected), I always secretly wondered if I had made the wrong decision.

As someone who loves to plan and predict (aka idolizing control), I've had a hard time with embracing times when God gives me something different than what I expect. Is God still good, when things didn't go exactly as I expected? It took some time, but this year God has helped me to see that sometimes he interrupts our lives to showcase his intimate care and love for us. He knows us and what is best for us. This truth is what I will cling unto as I enter another year, in faith that my life is in the hands of the maker of heaven.


"Now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold ...—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed." (1 Peter 1:6–7)



Popular posts from this blog

Delirious

delirious (adj): marked by uncontrollable excitement or emotion; ecstatic; filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy (1 peter 1:8); me I don't think I had a personal relationship with God until 2 weeks ago. There have been a lot of formative moments and experiences in the past 6 years of me considering the existence of a higher-being, 3 yrs of being a Christian, 1 year of living by faith, 6 months of serving on church leadership, 1 month of dire circumstances, each of which have been challenged and supported by specific instances in my life.* But it's only been 2 weeks of finding pure joy, satisfaction, and freedom in Christ (alone). Though it's been 6 years since I first stepped into a church building and 3 years since I accepted Christ, I was always afraid to admit that I didn't know what grace, freedom, repentance, or Jesus meant--in terms other than the ones I had heard or read--it was always a theory and never a reality in my own life. After years of doing chur

And just when you least expect it..

Today I went down to the food court with another intern and as I opened my box of sushi, I hesitated. Feeling as if there were too many eyes on me (I only ate with one other person -_-), I questioned whether I should pray before my meal, in fear of social rejection. After I prayed, she asked me if I was a Christian, and I awkwardly responded that I was. Then she said, "Finally! What a relief to know that there are other Christians!" WHAT THE.. I couldn't believe it. Here I was, sitting with a co-worker that I had simply exchanged cordial greetings with, now talking about God haha. Even though I was scared and honestly did NOT want to pray, God used a habitual thing like that to open up opportunities for me to invite her to small group and share my faith. Crazy how He works when you least expect it.

Honesty

If you're my friend, teammate, lifegroup member (or you have any context with me at all), I've probably hurt you. I've probably hurt you in the way I approached you, made you into an agenda, or seemed disinterested in our friendship at times when we weren't being "purposeful". I probably gave you the idea that I didn't value our time together unless we were doing something "productive"--and in all honesty, you were right--you read right through me, and knew exactly what I was thinking. Ever since experiencing God (personally) for the first time three weeks ago, I've seen how my skewed relationship with God has affected so many other parts of my life. Before, I saw having a relationship with God as a list of tasks--in my warped point of view and biases of being an already-too-task-minded person, if I wanted to know God, I needed to read the Bible, persevere in prayer, get involved in biblical community, and serve the church. If I did all these