Skip to main content

Birthday blessings


#1: Being able to bless co-workers through Asian buns: I woke up late for work, leaving no time to eat breakfast at home like I usually do. I started dreaming of the Asian buns I could eat at the bakery downstairs and simultaneously thinking about how I wanted to respond to co-workers when they would inevitable wish me a happy birthday. The idea of blessing others came to mind and I ended up bringing 15 buns to the office instead of 1. I'm not sure if this was the HS but I could tell this counter-cultural act left an impression on my co-workers. Hoping people come to see over time that it is the grace of God that allows me to be this way..

#2: Discovering a surprising loophole in the airline refund system: Back in April I bought airline tickets in advance to visit my brother in Seattle during Labor Day. Of course back then I thought I would for sure be in PHL and booked tickets that way. When I found out I was leaving the country, I called American Airlines to find a way to at least get a voucher for the ticket value, for which I was utterly unsuccessful. Yesterday I received an email from AA saying that my flight was rescheduled to leave more than 2 hours earlier, which made me eligible to ask for a full refund (refund policy for involuntary schedule change here). Amazing.

#3: Finding out I'm taking a group of freshmen to Brunei: Working at a small college setting has been so interesting because everybody knows everybody and every interaction matters. On my first day at work a few weeks ago, I met an American professor in the food court who would be leading a week-long trip to Brunei in September. Well it turns out they need a woman to help chaperone the students and develop our curriculum for the week of learning across boundaries. I know nearly nothing about biodiversity and lab experiments, but am available and willing to help. Hoping this trip could open a lot of avenues for me to be immersed with the new students!

#4: Receiving a compliment about active listening: I was speaking with a professor today during a networking session, mostly just asking questions to get to know his past experiences and interests. After he shared for several minutes, I paraphrased what he said into one sentence to confirm I understood correctly. His response to my commentary? "Wow that was excellent active listening - gold star." So thankful for the counseling class I took in grad school last semester to help me be a better listener/counselor/human being..

#5: Introducing Taiwanese shaved ice to others: I like Korean shaved ice but Taiwanese shaved ice is different (and phenomenal). I've been on the search for Taiwanese shaved ice here in Singapore and got to try a place recommended to me with some friends after work. The shaved ice was amazing but what trumped my personal enjoyment was being able to introduce others to something I deeply believed in. Sound familiar?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious

delirious (adj): marked by uncontrollable excitement or emotion; ecstatic; filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy (1 peter 1:8); me I don't think I had a personal relationship with God until 2 weeks ago. There have been a lot of formative moments and experiences in the past 6 years of me considering the existence of a higher-being, 3 yrs of being a Christian, 1 year of living by faith, 6 months of serving on church leadership, 1 month of dire circumstances, each of which have been challenged and supported by specific instances in my life.* But it's only been 2 weeks of finding pure joy, satisfaction, and freedom in Christ (alone). Though it's been 6 years since I first stepped into a church building and 3 years since I accepted Christ, I was always afraid to admit that I didn't know what grace, freedom, repentance, or Jesus meant--in terms other than the ones I had heard or read--it was always a theory and never a reality in my own life. After years of doing chur

And just when you least expect it..

Today I went down to the food court with another intern and as I opened my box of sushi, I hesitated. Feeling as if there were too many eyes on me (I only ate with one other person -_-), I questioned whether I should pray before my meal, in fear of social rejection. After I prayed, she asked me if I was a Christian, and I awkwardly responded that I was. Then she said, "Finally! What a relief to know that there are other Christians!" WHAT THE.. I couldn't believe it. Here I was, sitting with a co-worker that I had simply exchanged cordial greetings with, now talking about God haha. Even though I was scared and honestly did NOT want to pray, God used a habitual thing like that to open up opportunities for me to invite her to small group and share my faith. Crazy how He works when you least expect it.

Honesty

If you're my friend, teammate, lifegroup member (or you have any context with me at all), I've probably hurt you. I've probably hurt you in the way I approached you, made you into an agenda, or seemed disinterested in our friendship at times when we weren't being "purposeful". I probably gave you the idea that I didn't value our time together unless we were doing something "productive"--and in all honesty, you were right--you read right through me, and knew exactly what I was thinking. Ever since experiencing God (personally) for the first time three weeks ago, I've seen how my skewed relationship with God has affected so many other parts of my life. Before, I saw having a relationship with God as a list of tasks--in my warped point of view and biases of being an already-too-task-minded person, if I wanted to know God, I needed to read the Bible, persevere in prayer, get involved in biblical community, and serve the church. If I did all these