Skip to main content

"Do you miss leading?"

After having been immersed in small group ministry for many years in Ann Arbor, it would be an understatement to say that transitioning out was a significant change for me. Part of me felt a bit incomplete without the explicit responsibility of shepherding people, but I'm thankful that this past year allowed me to find my identity in Christ and not in my ministry.

People have asked me if I miss leading, to which I respond, 'Sometimes.'

I realized this past year that even without formal responsibilities or titles, I can do many of the things I did before (ie: investing in relationships, looking for ways to serve, etc). What I miss most though is the humble posture that ministry forces me to embrace. I have never felt so weak, helpless, and inadequate as I do when I am leading God's people--all of which help me to acknowledge my rightful place and need for God.

With or without formal responsibilities, I hope I can remember how small, weak, and incomplete I am apart from God's help, grace, and Spirit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious

delirious (adj): marked by uncontrollable excitement or emotion; ecstatic; filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy (1 peter 1:8); me I don't think I had a personal relationship with God until 2 weeks ago. There have been a lot of formative moments and experiences in the past 6 years of me considering the existence of a higher-being, 3 yrs of being a Christian, 1 year of living by faith, 6 months of serving on church leadership, 1 month of dire circumstances, each of which have been challenged and supported by specific instances in my life.* But it's only been 2 weeks of finding pure joy, satisfaction, and freedom in Christ (alone). Though it's been 6 years since I first stepped into a church building and 3 years since I accepted Christ, I was always afraid to admit that I didn't know what grace, freedom, repentance, or Jesus meant--in terms other than the ones I had heard or read--it was always a theory and never a reality in my own life. After years of doing chur

And just when you least expect it..

Today I went down to the food court with another intern and as I opened my box of sushi, I hesitated. Feeling as if there were too many eyes on me (I only ate with one other person -_-), I questioned whether I should pray before my meal, in fear of social rejection. After I prayed, she asked me if I was a Christian, and I awkwardly responded that I was. Then she said, "Finally! What a relief to know that there are other Christians!" WHAT THE.. I couldn't believe it. Here I was, sitting with a co-worker that I had simply exchanged cordial greetings with, now talking about God haha. Even though I was scared and honestly did NOT want to pray, God used a habitual thing like that to open up opportunities for me to invite her to small group and share my faith. Crazy how He works when you least expect it.

Fill in the blank

Check out this cool site that I didn't make (and is not affiliated with HMCC): http://jesus-is.org/ In efforts to get people in Ann Arbor thinking about who Jesus is, I've been conducting one question surveys to get people's honest thoughts on what they think of Jesus. The first time I did this exercise was with my ministry team, and I was blown away that 1) people were very willing to fill in the blank in "Jesus is _____, 2) there were more believers than I expected, and 3) some people genuinely had NO IDEA who Jesus was to them personally. My lifegroup participated in this exercise last night, this time not only to gauge the spiritual climate of this campus, but also to get our fresh JESUS IS rave cards out into the city! The survey was an excellent, non-intimidating segway to promote our Easter Celebration to strangers, and I'm thankful I had the chance to do this with my LG. The responses I've received in the past varies from things like.. Jesus is ______: