Skip to main content

The climax of my academic career

This weekend I not only closed out my time with my spiritual family in Ann Arbor, but also my academic pursuits as a student at the Michigan business school.


Since January 2010, I was a part of a multi-disciplinary Social Entrepreneurship course where I worked with five other graduate & undergraduate students in launching C2A2 (Community Cars Ann Arbor), a peer-to-peer car-sharing program that provides societal & environmental impact through the sharing of resources.

I never imagined myself to be an entrepreneur, but this was undoubtedly the climax of my academic experience in college because I was challenged to take everything I learned and apply it into launching an actual business. I not only used concepts from my past experiences in marketing, but even the foundations of business I was required to learn in my curriculum and never imagined would ever become useful.
From using Excel spreadsheets for financial projections to understanding different partnership laws and forms of incorporation, I was astounded that the dreadful parts of the BBA curriculum were actually key skills I needed in running a business.

Regardless of the degree of passion you have for entrepreneurship and/or using business to address issues in society, I would highly recommend ENGR490.009 for any undergraduate or graduate student at the University of Michigan. A great course to conclude your academic program and test everything you have learned! Check out socialventurecreation.com for more information :)


Here are five reasons why this was the climax of my academic career.
Why I would recommend this course:
1) Multi-disciplinary teams
After three years working with like-minded students in the same program, it was extremely enlightening to hear different opinions from my teammates with perspectives in design, engineering, and more.

2) Working with grad students
I will never forget the time my team was preparing for an in-class debate. Instead of scoping for the high school debate champion (the undergrad way to approach this situation), a grad student on my team proposed the idea of having the person who felt least comfortable with debating represent our team. Rather than being concerned about the end result, he wanted this to be a learning experience for us to work on our areas of improvement.

3) Testing & defending everything you learned
As the sole representative on my team with a marketing background, I was challenged to defend anything I proposed. I could no longer just rely on a theory or concept mentioned in class as justification, but was challenged explain its value to those who had no exposure to these concepts prior.

4) Connecting with industry experts
The course was led by Moses Lee & Nick Tobier, two lecturers passionate about changing the world through business & design. Not only that, we constantly worked with people from a design firm, base of the pyramid initiatives, lawyers, and other individuals passionate about social entrepreneurship.

5) Applying every concept to a real-life situation
The best thing about this class is that work we did never ended after our final presentation or paper submission, but involved a real-life situation that we wanted to see happen regardless of the course boundaries.




If you'd like more information about the course or my team project, please do not hesitate to contact me (nwon@umich.edu) or Moses Lee (moseslee@umich.edu)!

Comments

Chris said…
you guys were incredible today. blew my socks off. :)
Moses Lee said…
:) Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully more people will take socialventurecreation.com

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious

delirious (adj): marked by uncontrollable excitement or emotion; ecstatic; filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy (1 peter 1:8); me I don't think I had a personal relationship with God until 2 weeks ago. There have been a lot of formative moments and experiences in the past 6 years of me considering the existence of a higher-being, 3 yrs of being a Christian, 1 year of living by faith, 6 months of serving on church leadership, 1 month of dire circumstances, each of which have been challenged and supported by specific instances in my life.* But it's only been 2 weeks of finding pure joy, satisfaction, and freedom in Christ (alone). Though it's been 6 years since I first stepped into a church building and 3 years since I accepted Christ, I was always afraid to admit that I didn't know what grace, freedom, repentance, or Jesus meant--in terms other than the ones I had heard or read--it was always a theory and never a reality in my own life. After years of doing chur

And just when you least expect it..

Today I went down to the food court with another intern and as I opened my box of sushi, I hesitated. Feeling as if there were too many eyes on me (I only ate with one other person -_-), I questioned whether I should pray before my meal, in fear of social rejection. After I prayed, she asked me if I was a Christian, and I awkwardly responded that I was. Then she said, "Finally! What a relief to know that there are other Christians!" WHAT THE.. I couldn't believe it. Here I was, sitting with a co-worker that I had simply exchanged cordial greetings with, now talking about God haha. Even though I was scared and honestly did NOT want to pray, God used a habitual thing like that to open up opportunities for me to invite her to small group and share my faith. Crazy how He works when you least expect it.

Honesty

If you're my friend, teammate, lifegroup member (or you have any context with me at all), I've probably hurt you. I've probably hurt you in the way I approached you, made you into an agenda, or seemed disinterested in our friendship at times when we weren't being "purposeful". I probably gave you the idea that I didn't value our time together unless we were doing something "productive"--and in all honesty, you were right--you read right through me, and knew exactly what I was thinking. Ever since experiencing God (personally) for the first time three weeks ago, I've seen how my skewed relationship with God has affected so many other parts of my life. Before, I saw having a relationship with God as a list of tasks--in my warped point of view and biases of being an already-too-task-minded person, if I wanted to know God, I needed to read the Bible, persevere in prayer, get involved in biblical community, and serve the church. If I did all these