Skip to main content

2008.

What did 2008 mean for me? The year of a surprisingly awesome summer in Chicago interning at Leo Burnett, the entrance into the dreaded Junior year at the business school, with corporate presentations every week and constant visits to career counselors and communication consultants in effort to perfect every bit of the recruiting process, from my resume to cover letters to interviewing skills. Also the year that I realized different and good were not mutually exclusive things (ie: JCrew small group last year), and I really learned what it means to have a missional mindset on and off the court.

To be frank, I don’t remember what the first half of 2008 was like, largely because I moved on to a new journal in the second half of the year. But what I do remember doing for months is asking God for a greater heart for His lost people, for my heart to break at the sight of those who do not know Christ—and mostly for my own family members. Something about not spending eternity in heaven with my parents did not seem right, yet I felt no urgency to share the Gospel with them. So I asked God for that greater burden for months, and went into Junior year with several days of OCR (Operation Campus Reach) training at my church in Ann Arbor.


In short, OCR changed my life. I realized how much I had been dichotomizing my life in and outside the church, not only in my behavior, but also in my mindset. Within the boundaries of life group, I knew I was supposed to try to “reach out” to my classmates, dormmates, and the like, but this only briefly crossed my mind when my leaders announced we would be having a Thanksgiving Outreach Dinner. Simply said, ministry was limited to times I dedicated to church activities. However, OCR challenged me to fuse every part of my life together—my spiritual life (ie: life group), personal life (ie: going to the gym), and academic/professional life (ie: bschool peers). Sharing the Gospel or talking about spiritual things was no longer confined to group outreaches around campus, or long meals with my accountability partner.


Soon after, I copped an opportunity talking to the card swiper at the CCRB (gym), a friend of a friend I had just met at Meijer (grocery store), and a classmate that just wanted to know where I was disappearing off to every Wednesday night from 6 to 10PM. In all, I realized there are plenty of people all around us who are more than willing to come out to church or learn about Christianity, if only we asked. Here I am, thinking to myself that no one wants to hear this good news, and fearing rejection. But God is still moving when we don’t know it, and He has already prepared a harvest that just needs to be reaped. A new meaning of “It’s not about me” defined.


All this sounds great, but why is it so much easier for me to practice this to strangers whom I barely know? Why have I been home for a week already and never revved up the nerve to share the Gospel message with my parents? My only fear is that the next two weeks will fly by and I will leave home once again without having said a word to my own mother about how Jesus changed my life. In the meantime, please pray for boldness on my behalf..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious

delirious (adj): marked by uncontrollable excitement or emotion; ecstatic; filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy (1 peter 1:8); me I don't think I had a personal relationship with God until 2 weeks ago. There have been a lot of formative moments and experiences in the past 6 years of me considering the existence of a higher-being, 3 yrs of being a Christian, 1 year of living by faith, 6 months of serving on church leadership, 1 month of dire circumstances, each of which have been challenged and supported by specific instances in my life.* But it's only been 2 weeks of finding pure joy, satisfaction, and freedom in Christ (alone). Though it's been 6 years since I first stepped into a church building and 3 years since I accepted Christ, I was always afraid to admit that I didn't know what grace, freedom, repentance, or Jesus meant--in terms other than the ones I had heard or read--it was always a theory and never a reality in my own life. After years of doing chur

And just when you least expect it..

Today I went down to the food court with another intern and as I opened my box of sushi, I hesitated. Feeling as if there were too many eyes on me (I only ate with one other person -_-), I questioned whether I should pray before my meal, in fear of social rejection. After I prayed, she asked me if I was a Christian, and I awkwardly responded that I was. Then she said, "Finally! What a relief to know that there are other Christians!" WHAT THE.. I couldn't believe it. Here I was, sitting with a co-worker that I had simply exchanged cordial greetings with, now talking about God haha. Even though I was scared and honestly did NOT want to pray, God used a habitual thing like that to open up opportunities for me to invite her to small group and share my faith. Crazy how He works when you least expect it.

Honesty

If you're my friend, teammate, lifegroup member (or you have any context with me at all), I've probably hurt you. I've probably hurt you in the way I approached you, made you into an agenda, or seemed disinterested in our friendship at times when we weren't being "purposeful". I probably gave you the idea that I didn't value our time together unless we were doing something "productive"--and in all honesty, you were right--you read right through me, and knew exactly what I was thinking. Ever since experiencing God (personally) for the first time three weeks ago, I've seen how my skewed relationship with God has affected so many other parts of my life. Before, I saw having a relationship with God as a list of tasks--in my warped point of view and biases of being an already-too-task-minded person, if I wanted to know God, I needed to read the Bible, persevere in prayer, get involved in biblical community, and serve the church. If I did all these